Friday, September 21, 2012

Say it with me: Druzy

Never does nature say one thing and wisdom another.  ~Juvenal

 I have become such a fan of druzy jewelry over the last year.  And so have you all, but I have to admit that the first time I was asked "how does that happen?" I didn't really know.  So instead of asking Dewey and getting that look he likes to give me when he can't believe I don't know something, I Googled it.   I still get asked the question a lot.  Most of us know where gemstones come from - the process of the earths crust and inner layers moving about - but the process of what makes the druzy a druzy is really fascinating. 

(author's note:  I choose to use the spelling with a "z", although I concede that an "s" may be correct I like the letter "z" and I'm sticking with it.) 

So, what makes a druzy a druzy?  And what's so special about it?   Well, about a ga-gillion years ago (ok, millions, not ga-gillions) all that molten rock at the earths center began moving towards the earth's surface.  As the rocks hardened, pockets formed in them due to the pressure changes and associated gases expanding (all that cool stuff we learned in Earth Science).   And after many, many years the as rocks cooled, and waters that moved through had left mineral deposits the result was a crystallization inside the rock. That is druzy.  Sort of like a happy accident.  

Because the waters were not picky about which rock beds they flowed through, this can occur in any color rock giving us a veritable rainbow of druzy.   No one is like another, so each piece of druzy we own is a unique natural creation.  How cool is that?

Our artisan, Dana Jansen of Rainbow Bridge Beads brings us some carefully selected druzy jewelry in choices of meticulously wire wrapped pendants in sterling silver, or set in sterling. 



It is a truly unique and wonderful piece of fine jewelry for your collection! 

PL&BB-

Penni

No comments:

Post a Comment