Tuesday, September 4, 2012

McMahan is on Fire!

Inside my empty bottle I was constructing a lighthouse while all the others were making ships.  ~Charles Simic 

I sit here on my perch each day and watch what people buy.  I can almost predict what a person will like and what they won't (folks aren't really indifferent when it comes to art).  What's  maddening is that I haven't come up with a way to predict when a particular artist will have a roll.  It's not something you can force - like with a sale or something. 

I'm talking specifically about the wall art.  I can have an artist on a dry streak, and then in a week they sell like we're having a fire sale - except I'm not discounting!  My example of that right now is none other than my better half  - Dewey McMahan.

People either love his work or hate it.  It's very bold and never subtle.  I, of course, love every piece of it.  (Well, except that one.  You know the one where he swears he wasn't murderously mad at me when he created it, but I don't quite believe him.  It just screams "I'm mad at Penni" when I look at it.)  Haha.

You could say Dew was on a dry streak for a few months.  He wasn't creating new, and what he had on the wall was getting dusted fairly regularly.  Until two weeks ago.  Now, it seems he's on fire.  6 pieces in 2 weeks is extraordinary for any artist in a store-front hosting more them 100 of them (including one on-line purchase from the web-store).  The odd's are simply against it. 

The coup de gras is that, as with any artist, the sudden upswing in selling inspired him and he's worked on 3 new pieces over the past towo weeks.  One of them he completed last night and hung on the wall at about 8:30 this morning.  Before noon, I had wrapped it up and sent to it's new home.  Now, that's amazing.  


Thank Goodness I was able to get a picture of it before it left for it's new home.  And I couldn't be happier for Dew.  I bet he stays up late tonight working on one of the other two that aren't quite finished.  One of them is a winter scene, and one of them is a train.  And they are going to be really special - I can't wait to show them to you!

PL&BB-

Penni

No comments:

Post a Comment