Friday, July 5, 2013

While She Knit, She Prayed - I get it now!

Advice for New Knitters

When choosing a pattern, look for ones that have words such as "simple", "basic", and "easy". If you see the words "intriguing", "challenging", or "intricate", look elsewhere.  

If you happen across a pattern that says "heirloom", slowly put down the pattern and back away.  "Heirloom" is knitting code for "This pattern is so difficult that you would consider death a relief".” 

― Stephani Pearl-McPheeAt Knit's End: Meditations for Women Who Knit Too Much

A few months ago Brenda Meade brought us a collage with a saying on it "While She Knit, She Prayed".  It sold before we moved, and I don't have a picture of it. I thought it was real cute, and since I had taught myself to knit this winter, I considered just getting it for myself.  I should have, because I think of it often now that I've become obsessed with knitting.

I have three knitting projects going right now, along with one painting on canvas, one on barnwood, a wine cork birdhouse and a cork board.  Never mind half finished jewelry, journals and cards and stitchery.  Like I needed another "skill" along these lines to turn into an obsession.

I had my heart broke the other night, however.  I don't know what happened, but I was sitting and knitting and thinking (I do my best thinking while I'm knitting) and all of a sudden my arm just twitched and I dropped about 25 minuscule stitches on a bamboo blanket I'm working on.  Like #3 tiny .
I strained my eyes and tried and tried to recapture the dropped stitches, but in the end I had to surrender.  It was an irrecoverable error.  For the next 45 minutes, I simply just pulled the hours and weeks worth of stitches out row by row, rewinding the yarn.  2 skeins . . .

The next day I started the project over again.  A few hours (off and on) and many more rows later, I set the project down on the coffee table to move on with my life.  About an hour after that, I noticed the dog.  Wrapped in my gradient blue bamboo yarn.  And trailing two knitting needles behind her.

It's OK to feel sorry for me.  I do.  If I ever finish this particular blanket, I will not sell it or give it away.  Its now a mission of mine to complete it perfectly, and keep it forever.

Back to the beginning - again.

PL&BB-

Penni

No comments:

Post a Comment